Wednesday, May 30, 2007

It's not just for old ladies

What do you think about when you hear somebody talking about book clubs?

Me, I think of a bunch of older women gathered around a table talking about the plots, similes and allegories in a book I would probably never read.

Well, last month my friend Ashley started a book club and I'm enjoying it. The first book, Things Fall Apart, was a rough one for our group. Not that many people read it (Including me...sorry!) so the discussion was short.

But this month we read The Coldest Winter ever by Sister Souljah and it was drastically different.

I'd read this book before, but I read it again to refresh my memory and really enjoyed our discussion afterwords. Our group of seven had a lengthy discussion and other readers bought up topics, situations and ideas I hadn't thought of before.

For June we're reading my pick, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.

So, once again my assumptions about something have been wrong. Our group is young, lively, opinionated and even has a couple of men.

Book clubs definitely aren't just for old ladies...

No comments: