Sunday, July 12, 2009

See you later...

Journalism, I'm over you.

All through grade school and college I was so in love with you. Even through my first couple of years as a journalist, the romance continued. But as I'm creeping of on five years as a professional journalist, I think I'm over you.

My eye is starting to wander. I've been looking into public relations and communication work with non-profits.

I won't stray too far from you though. I'm hoping to work with a non-profit or organization with a mission I believe in and help them get their word out.

You're just not your old self anymore, I know I've said it before. Nowadays it's just about "feeding the beast," and it doesn't matter with what. Celebrity gossip and cute pets take front page while news on local government and keeping tabs on elected officials gets buried between the obituaries and an advertisement.

I could go on and on about the differences between you and your former self, but I won't. And maybe this won't be a permanent goodbye, just a "see you later." Maybe after the industry stabilizes and emphasis is put back on your practice rather than how much (excess) money you can make, we can give it anther try. I wish I could hang on and wait it out, but I can't.

Best,
Janelle

No comments: